I haven’t done an Awkward & Awesome post since May. MAY! That’s six months! And trust me, there has been plenty of awkward to go around (and quite a bit of awesome too). Let’s see what I can come up with off the top of my head for this week:
- I’m not hungry this week. I have been forcing myself to eat for three days, without actually being hungry at any point. I’m the kind of girl who usually wakes up starving, and can’t go to bed without a midnight snack, so I’m going to chalk this one up to stress, and really hope that it passes soon. I miss enjoying my food! Fellow foodies can sympathize, I’m sure.
- Cockroaches. Oh. My. God. COCKROACHES. A couple months ago my building underwent major construction on the ground level. They dug up the basement in two apartments made them bi-level. I think the cockroaches that were living down there decided they would “move on up,” to the fifth floor, to be exact. We’re not infested, but the frequency that we find these suckers is increasing, and I don’t have room for any more roommates. I’ve done my homework and I know it’s not my fault that they’re there. If you’re thinking I must be a slob, read this awesome post.
- Our uninvited visitors are actually the least of our worries. Our hot water has been out twice this week, and for no good reason. We live on the Upper East Side, we were lucky enough to be untouched by Hurricane Sandy, but I still had to choose between a freezing cold shower this morning, or dirty hair and smelly feet for my client meetings. I chose the cold shower, and my body has not worked its way back to normal temperature yet.
- First off, like I said, we were lucky in regards to the storm. So many people have lost so much, and Sandy was only a category one. I cannot begin to imagine what people went through with Katrina. Another “awesome,” is all that everyone is doing to help. I have seen so many posts on Facebook of people rallying together to get donations and volunteer to clean up, and I am proud of my city (NYC), and my home state of New Jersey. I know we will get through this, and I hope those impacted don’t have to suffer much longer.
- I’ve been to three concerts in the last week: Grouplove, Shiny Toy Guns and Motion City Soundtrack. Grouplove was AMAZING. The others were great too, but Grouplove just stands out. We danced our faces off in a confetti cloud during the finale, it was an amazing night.
- I have a bunch of upcoming travel plans that I’m getting very excited for. In exactly three weeks I’ll be hopping on a plane to San Diego to visit my sister. I’m going to try on bridesmaid dresses, taste wedding cake, and bake cookies with my sister. Then, on Christmas night, Jamie, our friend Casey and I are going to Zurich, Switzerland. We’re going to pick up our homeboy Kevin who ditched us for European life a few months ago, and we’re all going to head to Berlin for New Year’s. I love America, but there’s something so exciting about knowing that I will ring in the New Year in another country.
So there you have it, a big, old Awkward & Awesome post. And now some questions:
Have you ever had a cockroach/rodent problem? Please tell me your horror/success stories – I want to know that I’m not alone!
Have you been to any good concerts lately? Do tell!
Any holiday travel plans?