This may be strange, but in my mind there is just something about Spring weather and sushi that go hand in hand. Alycia and I are long overdue for a sushi date, so for lunch yesterday I decided to bring our favorite dish to us: Sushi Pizza.
Sushi Pizza may very well be one of my favorite foods on earth. The formula is typically a simple three layers of yum:
- Some sort of ‘crust’: at home in NJ this is similar to the shell of an eggroll, at our favorite Sushi Pizza spot in the city it’s a scallion pancake.
- The filler. I’ve had Sushi Pizza with a middle layer of rice, and Sushi Pizza with seaweed salad. The one pictured above just had a layer of spicy mayo. Anything delicious to sit between the crust and the sushi will do. I prefer the rice, but my diet prefers the seaweed.
- Sushi – and lots of it. Tuna, salmon, etc. is evenly layered atop the middle layer, and then drizzled with spicy mayo or other special sauces.
Now that I’ve made your mouth water, you’re probably wondering where you can get this delectable little treat. Here are some locations I’ve scouted out in my desperation to bring Sushi Pizza to wherever I am:
- Fuji – My mom bought me my first Sushi Pizza here and the obsession began.
- Fatty Fish – My neighborhood spot. It is very dangerous to have this place less than a quarter mile from my apartment.
- Biny Japanese Restaurant – When I just can’t stand not having Sushi Pizza in my life, I order it for lunch at work from here.