My neighbor put the most adorable advent calendar counting down to Christmas in our hallway.
When the calendar said ’24’ I loved it. As the numbers continued to drop and then suddenly reached ’14,’ I started to stress. Two weeks left to Holiday shop – I’ve been surprisingly lazy about getting started.
I set out on Sunday to get the ball rolling, and I wound up at the Union Square Holiday Market – my favorite spot to shop in NYC. New York holiday markets feel like an in-person extension of Etsy, with beautiful handmade jewelry, household items, clothing, snacks and more. It’s a handmade local heaven! If you’re currently uninspired or late to start your shopping, I highly recommend checking it out. The market is operated by Urban Space Management, who also operate the Columbus Circle Holiday Market and the year-round DeKalb Market in Brooklyn.
Apartment Therapy.com also recently ran a great article on upcoming NYC holiday craft fairs. The following upcoming events are cross posted from their article:
- HolidayPop-Up Artists & Fleas at the Chelsea Market. Beginning on December 15th, Artists & Fleas brings the best of Brooklyn to the heart of Chelsea with a 2-week long holiday pop-up store at the Chelsea Market.Location: 75 9th Avenue (Between 15th and 16th Streets), New York, NY 10011Dates and times: Previews Thursday, December 15th from 12pm-8pmOpen Friday, December 16th-December 31st from 10am-8pmCLOSED Sunday, December 25th with abbreviated hours on Saturday, December 24th (10am-5pm) and December 31st (10am-5pm)
- Artists and Fleas Brooklyn Holiday Bazaar, Artists and Fleas, a lively market that sets up every weekend in Williamsburg and has done for almost a decade, has created an additional market location for the holidays to expand the already large selection of goodies.Location: 70 north 7th street (Between Wythe and Kent), Brooklyn, NY 11211Additional Location: North 7th Street & Wythe Avenue. Special holiday dates and times: December 23, 12-7pm, December 24 10-5pm, December 31 10-7pm, January 1, 2012 12-5pm.
- BrooklynCraft Central Holiday Market, a juried show featuring 65 vendors total (different vendors will be present on each day of the fair) that will take place on the last weekend before Christmas. They will also have local artisanal food and drinks.Location: Littlefield Art Space, 622 Degraw St., Brooklyn, NY, 11217Dates and times: December 17th and 18th, 12-6pm.
- The Brooklyn Flea is always a great place to find interesting things, and for the Holidays they will be opening three additional days.Location: 1 Hanson Place (at Ashland Pl.), Fort GreeneSpecial holiday dates and times: Friday, December 16; Wednesday, December 21; and Thursday, December 22, from 2 to 9pm.
- In Queens, the AstoriaMarket, based out of the Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden will have special holiday market dates to sell their wares that include handmade, baked and vintage goods.Special date and location: Saturday, December 10th at the Columbus Avenue Holiday pop up market, St. Paul’s, Columbus Ave. between West 59th and 69th Streets. 11am-5:30pm.Location: otherwise at the Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden, 29-19 24th Avenue; Astoria, NYDates and times: December 11th and 18th 12-6pm.